Fun Facts about Bees
- Bees fly 22 miles per hour
- Bees fly 500 miles in their lifetime
- A bee can make 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime. Americans consume about 285 million pounds of honey each year.
- The Queen honey bee lays 2,000 eggs EACH DAY when the weather is warm
- Bees use the sun as a compass
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that honeybees pollinate 80 percent of the country’s insect crops—meaning bees pollinate over $20 billion worth of crops each year.
- Caffeine is a plant defense chemical that shoos harmful insects away and lures pollinators in. Scientists found that nectar laced with caffeine helps bees remember where the flower is, increasing the chances of a return visit.
Did you know there are more than 365 bee species in Massachusetts? Along with butterflies, beetles, and hummingbirds, pollinators are vital to fruit and vegetable crops. Unfortunately pollinators are threatened by pesticides, climate change, habitat loss, and other challenges. Several species are in serious decline, and they all need our help.
Curry Hardware is proactively discontinuing those items containing neonicotinoids. We’re training our staff to actively engage neighbors in selecting bee safe products as well as their application. We’re expanding our organic selection of pesticide alternatives, adding live predator alternatives (lady bugs), increasing our pollinator wild flower selection and adding 4lb wild flower mixes. As always we are encouraging everyone to consider planting flowers along with vegetable gardens.
How can you help?
- Limit your use of pesticides. Even organic products can be damaging to a bee if applied directly to the insect. Restrict application to dusk when bees are not foraging.
- Provide the bees with a reason to visit your yard, plant a pollinator friendly garden patch of any size.
- When purchasing a live plant, ask if it’s been pre-treated with insecticides (eg. neonicotinoids such as Imidacloprid).
- Buy local as it helps beekeepers in the local community.
- Provide a water source such as a shallow bird bath with rocks in it.
- If you see a swarm or have a colony of bees which has taken up residence in an unwanted area contact a local beekeeper for removal.
Pollinator Health Awareness
Ace Hardware Corporation is willing to move away from the sale of products containing neonicotinoids by spring of 2019, as new and appropriate replacement products are offered by its suppliers. It’s important to note that Ace Hardware Corporation is a cooperative consisting of independently owned and operated retail stores, and each store determines what products it will carry. In addition, because Ace stores care about the concerns of their customers, consumer-facing educational materials on the topic will be made available for use in stores beginning this year.
“At Ace, we’re committed to providing our customers with products that not only meet their needs, but that are also in compliance with applicable laws and regulations from environmental agencies and regulators,” said Frank Carroll, Vice President of Merchandising, Ace Hardware Corporation. “Ace Hardware will be diligent in working with our vendors to take appropriate action to protect pollinators,” Carroll said.